Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Day of Fasting (Raw Diet for Dogs)

A Day of Fasting
By Leah Morse


This is a part of a series of blogs that I want to share my experience with learning to feed raw diet to my dogs. It is a controversial way of providing nutrition for your dogs. I am not suggesting that anyone follow these guidelines that I have chosen to do for my own dogs. I am just simply sharing the information that I have found and where I found it. I am simply sharing my experiences. I am not a veterinarian; I am also not a health care professional. This theory of feeding raw species appropriate diet can have serious health risks associated with incorrect handling, preparing and feeding. NEVER EVER FEED COOKED BONES! Cooking bones changes the molecular structure, they become brittle and may splinter which would injure or kill your dog! Do not feed bones that are frozen either, as they can and will ruin your pet’s teeth. All bones must be thoroughly thawed before feeding as frozen bones can severely damage teeth. Mixing raw meat with cooked meat can cause digestive problems. If feeding raw diet is your goal read as many books and literature as possible. Find people who are already feeding and have experience to have as mentors. Use your own good judgment, when in doubt, don’t do it. The ideas and opinions in this blog are my own and come from feeding my dogs this way since 2008, unless otherwise credited. I am by no means an expert, just sharing my own acquisition of information and observations from my own dogs. Take any ideas that I present here at your own risk and discretion. I, for one, have found it worth it.

It is important to discuss fasting. After much of what I have read, whether on the internet, one of many books or other resources. It is highly recommended that a day of fasting is very beneficial (except growing puppies or pregnant/lactating females.) This, by far, was a the hardest concept that I considered when choosing raw diet. It took me a while to actually practice fasting with my adult dogs. How could I fast my dogs for 24 hours. They were better than alarm clocks when it came to feeding time. The Daylight Savings switch over and back means nothing to my dogs, days off and sleeping in have no meaning to my dogs. How is this going to be possible, without our peace being severely disturbed by our hungry dogs? It was easier than we thought.

The purpose of the fast is to help clear out the digestive system for a fresh start. Fasting occurs naturally in carnivores. The day after a fast is a good time to feed a less desirable food, my dogs are not big spinach fans so this is added to their meat and bones the day after a fast.

Things that we do to help our dogs get through a fast. We always fast our dogs Friday night through Saturday morning (we generally feed twice a day) as this is the very busiest time of the week for us. Friday night we are busy working, coming home and then leaving again. Saturday’s are full of classes and dog training. Choosing the busiest time of our week really helps as our routine is disrupted. I will occasionally give some cooked veggies to help the adults when I have to feed the puppy as puppies should not be fasted.

Saturday afternoon I will give them a nice raw knuckle bone. King Soopers has been a good supplier of these and lately they have been cut in half which helps the dog get to the marrow. It is a good idea to give veggies with it though as they can get constipated with just bone and marrow.

We also play with our dogs between the hustle and bustle of Friday to Saturday. It has worked out really well as our dogs do not seem to be stressed or act like they are deprived. Finding an activity that your dog’s live for is very helpful. The world does not exist when the Frisbee comes out for Story our adult female. So Frisbee is part our Saturday routine.
9 Benefits of fasting (as reported by doggy bytes http://doggybytes.ca/9-health-benefits-fasting-dog/2266/)
Conserves energy
Revitalizes
Relaxes and energizes the body and mind
Rests the digestive organs
Improves the senses
Reduces allergies
Builds resistance to disease
Detoxifies
Optimizes health

Last but not least, our attitudes make a big difference when it comes to fasting or other changes in the routine. The less we let on that we are impacted the more our dogs take what we do or don’t do in stride. If we act as if fasting is the norm and don’t give attention for attempts, on the dog’s part, to solicit food, the solicitation will not last long. Especially of the demands are redirected to training or play. Keeping ourselves upbeat instead of apologetic is the best help of all. Our dogs trust us and accept willingly the change in feeding schedule.

Tags: Leah Morse | Rocky Mountain Classic Canine | Robert Forto | Michele Forto | Iditarod | Team Ineka | Dog Training Denver | Dog Doctor Radio | Denver Dog Works | Mushing Radio | Duluth Dog Works | Minnesota Dog Works | Therapy Dog Denver
________________
Leah Morse is a certified canine trainer and the owner of Rocky Mountain Classic Canine. Leah Can also be reached through our website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: