Friday, April 2, 2010

Ingredients for a Raw Diet for Dogs

Ingredients for a Raw Diet for Dogs
By Leah Morse


What Ingredients and Where to purchase for feeding Biologically Appropriate Raw Food (B.A.R.F)

This is a part of a series of blogs that I want to share my experience with learning to feed raw diet to my dogs. It is a controversial way of providing nutrition for your dogs. I am not suggesting that anyone follow these guidelines that I have chosen to do for my own dogs. I am just simply sharing the information that I have found and where I found it. I am simply sharing my experiences. I am not a veterinarian; I am also not a health care professional. This theory of feeding raw species appropriate diet can have serious health risks associated with incorrect handling, preparing and feeding. NEVER EVER FEED COOKED BONES! Cooking bones changes the molecular structure, they become brittle and may splinter which would injure or kill your dog! Do not feed bones that are frozen either, as they can and will ruin your pet’s teeth. All bones must be thoroughly thawed before feeding as frozen bones can severely damage teeth. Mixing raw meat with cooked meat can cause digestive problems. If feeding raw diet is your goal read as many books and literature as possible. Find people who are already feeding and have experience to have as mentors. Use your own good judgment, when in doubt, don’t do it. The ideas and opinions in this blog are my own and come from feeding my dogs this way since 2008, unless otherwise credited. I am by no means an expert, just sharing my own acquisition of information and observations from my own dogs. Take any ideas that I present here at your own risk and discretion. I, for one, have found it worth it.

I don’t tend to supplement too much with feeding raw diet. The high quality nutrition that comes from feeding raw is more than sufficient. Due to the fact that the protein, minerals and nutrients are in their most natural state, combined with naturally occurring enzymes in the food that help with digestion. However there are a few things that I add as there is a lot of evidence that there is a benefit to do so.

I make a mixture of powdered alfalfa, kelp powder and bee pollen. I keep the majority of it in a clean glass jar but I also put a small amount in a salt shaker (no salt please) to make it easier to sprinkle a small amount on my dogs food. I use a very small amount as much of their nutrition is coming from the variety of veggies and meats and eggs.

Kelp Powder provides essential iodine. The further you live away from the coast the less iodine is present naturally in your environment. We as humans receive it in vitamins or salt that has been fortified with Iodine. Salt is not good for dogs. A great source of iodine is kelp powder a slight amount, a mere dusting is sufficient for a dog. Do your homework and find out what your dog’s needs are by weight to figure out proper amounts. Kelp powder is easily found at one of the many health food stores in the area.

Alfalfa powder is a terrific green food to add to your dog’s food. According to the analysis on the can of alfalfa powder that I purchased at Vitamin cottage, alfalfa is 20% protein and 15% fiber; plus it contains 16 amino acids, 13 trace minerals and 13 vitamins. Again a little goes a long way.

Bee Pollen Granules is also a nutrient rich super food. It supplies vitamins, amino acids; trace minerals and enzymes in a synergistic balance that provides optimum bioavailability, according to the NOW brand Bee Pollen Granules. Bee pollen contains all 22 elements composing the body.

Fish Oil is a good source of Omega 3 Fatty acids. There has been a recent scientific finding that suggests that fish oil aids in preventing cancer.

Vitamin C is a great supplement to use when stress is present. I have also heard veterinarians that have recommended Vitamin C to help prevent urine grass kill. I give the dose recommended for my dog’s weight per the raw diet books I have. Dr. Ian Billinghurst does a very good job at explaining the proper amount to give, in his book “Give Your Dog a Bone.:
Water should not be taken lightly. Filtered water is best, or at least the highest quality water available. The fewer chemicals the better, I say. I give my dogs’ filtered water.

Sunshine is also important as this helps to provide vitamin D, an essential nutrient for proper calcium utilization.
Again, I don’t supplement everyday but I do try to use everything regularly. I have combined all the powders in one big mix as it makes it easier to give. Fish Oil and Vitamin C are also given periodically. There is plenty of information out there as far as how much and how often.

Tags:Leah Morse | Robert Forto | Michele Forto | Iditarod | Team Ineka | Dog Training Denver | Dog Doctor Radio | Denver Dog Works | Mushing Radio | Duluth Dog Works
___________________
Leah Morse is a certified canine trainer and the owner of Rocky Mountain Classic Canine. Leah can be reached through our website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: