Thursday, January 28, 2010

Haiti Emergency vs. American Emergency

Haitian Emergency vs. American Emergency
By Michele Fort
o

Let me start off by making sure everyone understands that I believe in helping EVERYONE in need. This is not pointed in the direction against helping Haiti or any country and its people.

In this economy, we are all challenged to make ends meet. Any emergency can put us into bankruptcy or foreclosure. Growing up in California I have experienced earthquakes and living in Oklahoma I experienced tornados these natural disasters can ruin individuals, neighbors, towns, counties, and in some instances countries. None of us can fathom the horrors that the people of Haiti are experiencing at this very moment just as none of us could fathom the horrors that the people of New Orleans went through after Hurricane Katrina.

I read just last week that “we” Americans have raised 100 million dollars to aid the people of Haiti. That is extraordinary. The very next day, I was watching the local news, something I rarely have time to do. They reported about a 7 year old little boy and how he goes to school every day and gets good grades and does what little boys do, while his dad spends his day looking for a job and a place for them to live. You see, he’s homeless. What I’m having trouble gripping is that in this roller coaster economy “we” have stopped shaking hands with our neighbors, we have stopped looking at what’s going on on our own street.

“We” hide in our homes surfing the internet, playing games on facebook, and watching American Idol and Biggest Loser. What happened to getting to know our neighbors and lending a helping hand? When you take your child to the bus stop in the morning have you noticed one of the kids isn’t wearing a coat? You shrug it off as maybe he forgot it, but you notice that he never wears one. You are planning to give $40.00 to help the International Red Cross and hope your money goes to aid someone in need in Haiti. What stops you from taking that same $40 and buying that little boy a coat? Judgment. Judgment is what keeps us from helping each other and what keeps us from asking our neighbors for help. You worry that IF you buy this boy a coat that his parents will feel insulted and even angered by your gesture. Or maybe your overstepping and he really does have one. You can always return it!

“We” can’t agree on how to fix our economy, “we” can’t agree on how we can have healthcare for everyone. But, “we” rally in the face of tragedy – this is what America is about! Let’s rally for our neighbors first, for our cities, our states, our country and when that is strong and restored and “we” are able to care for ourselves then “we” can care for others and then “we” do what America does best – strengthen the world.

This evening I gave a woman the only dollar in cash I had on me at the time and as I handed it to her I said I’m sorry this is all I can offer to help you as I have to feed my children too. I don’t give money to homeless people or pan handlers I gave to her because I chose to listen to my own morals and values and help my neighbor – right or wrong we have been taught that being needy is an ugly unwanted place to be. In realty, none of us should be in this position. Not everyone makes the choice to be homeless or needy. Why do “we” judge our neighbors but not other countries when they are faced with tragedy.
______________________
Michele Forto is an entrepreneur of several businesses in the Denver area. She can be reached through her website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: