Sunday, May 2, 2010

K-9 Communication 2 by Al Magaw

K-9 Communication 2
By Al Magaw


 I've had so many comments on last week's blog, all positive - I really expected some controversy about animals, and us, to a lesser degree,  being able to communicate wordlessly, and without motion, to indicate thoughts - I've received stories that told about dogs being able to inform their owners when there was a sick lamb, stories about dogs that just "know" when there is something that's going to happen that involves them without any obvious indication from the owners, to the story of the siberian husky that wakes it's owners every morning from Monday to Friday so they aren't late for work, but lets them sleep in on Saturday and Sunday - obviously, the siberian can read the calendar? - no, I didn't think so - I'd like to share part of a letter from an old friend that I received a number of years ago - a letter that started me wondering a bit more and observing more closely, how animals communicate without words - In part, the letter reads ----
 "Kuma, my Rottie, is an angel in the shape of a dog. He made his way through three bullets to reach my door. He has taught me much about play, about lightening up (in training), and visualization. He has led the way for me (to) learn deep mind/body/spirit communication from him". -------- "Kuma has showed me what my next pathway will be as an animal communicator. I am seriously looking into that field as I would truly like to be able to "speak" with dogs and horses and learn what they really have to say about issues in their lives." She goes on to say, "Rottweilers are pretty intensive dogs, different from any I have owned before. Kuma is teaching me to "send" pictures to him as a way of communicating".

     My friend goes on to describe how she found Kuma on her porch one morning, badly wounded with three bullet holes in him. She nursed him back to health and on one of the first walks with him.

     "He started to chase some deer that went flying off in front of him." "I immediately sent off a picture of him in the stage of a stock horse doing a sliding stop." -- "He looked just like a stock horse as he slid to a stop. He immediately came right to me, the first time he had done so off leash." "I felt like I had just won a championship!" "it was an awesome moment. He is one powerful dog who displayed a fine line between play and aggression when he first came into my life."

      The letter goes on to talk about mutual friends and interests --- I've read this letter from my friend many times over the years since I received it and it still sends shivers up my spine, shivers of recognition of what is what is real and possible, if only we could learn.

We would love to hear your comments regarding this article. Please let us know at live@dogdoctorradio.com

Tags: Al Magaw | Robert Forto | Michele Forto | Iditarod | Team Ineka | Dog Training Denver | Dog Doctor Radio | Denver Dog Works | Mushing Radio | Duluth Dog Works | Minnesota Dog Works

____________________
Al Magaw is a musher from Salmo, BC. Al keeps a medium sized kennel of 20 - 45 alaskan huskies as well as several pet dogs of various breeds. Al has been training and racing for the last 33 years. Before becoming involved with sled dogs, Al, along with his family, kept and competed with horses for many years. Al can be reached through his website at http://www.spiritofthenorthkennels.com Al is a guest blogger for Denver Dog Works and can be reached through our website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: