Thursday, March 25, 2010

FAQ's Feeding a Raw Diet to Dogs

FAQ's Feeding a Raw Diet to Dogs
By Leah Morse


This is a series of blogs that I want to share my experience with learning to feed raw diet to my dogs.  I am not suggesting that anyone follow these guidelines that I have chosen to do for my own dogs.  I am just simply sharing the information that I have found and where I found it.  I am simply sharing my experiences.  I am not a veterinarian; I am also not a health care professional.  This theory of feeding raw species appropriate diet can have serious health risks associated with incorrect handling, preparing and feeding.  NEVER EVER FEED COOKED BONES!  Cooking bones changes the molecular structure, they become brittle and may splinter which would injure or kill your dog!  Do not feed bones that are frozen either, as they can and will ruin your pet’s teeth.  All bones must be thoroughly thawed before feeding.  Mixing raw meat with cooked meat can cause digestive problems.  If feeding raw diet is your goal read as many books and literature as possible.  Find people who are already feeding and have experience to have as mentors.  Use your own good judgment, when in doubt, don’t do it.   The ideas and opinions in this blog are my own and come from feeding my dogs this way, unless otherwise credited.  I am by no means an expert, just sharing my own acquisition of information and observations from my own dogs.  Take any ideas that I present here at your own risk and discretion.   I, for one, have found it worth it.
______________________
I have now been feeding all of my dogs raw diet for some time now. I have some of the same questions frequently asked of me. There are many who want to explore feeding their dogs this way but, as I was, they are concerned about many facets.

FAQ #1: Won’t feeding your dog raw meat make your dogs mean or want to go kill things?

Answer: I have not experienced any kind of increased aggression. I have not seen my dogs become more motivated to hunt; they seem to be less interested. We actually had pigeons that were foraging on our property fairly close to us, not too long ago, and the dogs were all but completely disinterested. One of our dogs has always hunted mice but she doesn’t go out of her way to do this. I have done a lot of reading and have even read of people who regularly feed raw chicken and also keep live chickens and not had a problem with their dogs killing the chickens. If this were to happen, dogs are carnivores and they do have the instinct to stalk, kill and eat prey but it is not because they are now eating raw meat. Dogs are conservationist. Anyone who has ever trained can plainly see this. Dogs will only do what they absolutely have to do to get their reward. If we are providing their meals and giving sufficient amounts they have more lounging, napping and play time. If they are getting the protein that they need, for them it is better to conserve the energy. However, dogs being dogs, they love the chase, a wayward critter could cause prey drive to kick in simply because the creature ran away.

FAQ #2: Aren’t you afraid you won’t give them all that they need? The pet food companies have researched their product production and they add all of the supplements to the food.

Answer: Dogs have very simple needs. Giving a variety of meaty bones, organs and veggies along with some supplementation is easier than you think. Pet food companies cook their kibble at such a high temperature that the protein is changed and many of the vitamins and nutrients are made inactive from the processing. This is why they have to add the nutrients back into the food. Raw Meat and bones provide the best source of protein, vitamins and minerals. Some seasoned Raw Diet feeders state that no supplementation is necessary, others say add a small amount of veggies and natural supplements (kelp powder, alfalfa powder and bee pollen as opposed to an actual supplement) I do supplement veggies in my dogs diet as they tend to get a little constipated if I don’t. However, the skin and coat is the last to net nutrition from what a dog eats. I have never seen skin and hair health like I have seen on my dogs (not in 20 years of pet retail, 10 years of vet assisting and all of my experience with dog training) They look like they have been dipped in a clear coat of pure gloss, only dandruff if they are nervous (like at the vet) and very reduced shedding. If this is any indication of what is going on inside their bodies I have to ask what was missing in the commercial food. I have fed my children and kept them healthy; I will also feed my dogs and keep them healthy.

FAQ #3: What about cost? It must be expensive.

Answer: Actually it has worked out to be much cheaper. The commercial food I was feeding is $46.99 for a 30lb. bag. That works out to actually about $50.51 with Tax which then figures into about $1.69 a pound. I buy chicken necks and backs for .99 a pound and I have figured that I give about 50 cents or less to the amount of veggies I use. Even the supplementation that I do with the kelp, alfalfa and bee pollen, which is such a sparing amount, I spend just about the same. I don’t supplement every day.

FAQ #4: What about making your dog sick. What about Salmonella poisoning from the raw meat.

Answer: According to Dr. PitCaren in the DVD “Eat, Drink and Wag your Tail” Dogs have a more efficient digestive tract that can handle bacteria better. This is why they survive after eating a dead thing from the field, eating their stool or just licking their butts. Salmonella has actually been found on commercial dog food. We are more likely to get sick from handling so just be sure to follow proper meat handling protocol and sanitize, use stainless steel bowls or crocks that are dishwasher safe.

FAQ #5: I thought Chicken bones were bad for dogs!

Answer: They are if they are cooked. Chicken bones are surprisingly soft and easy for the dogs to get through. Cooking makes the bones change on a molecular level so that they splinter and become dangerous. Dogs have been known to choke on kibble. I will chop up bigger bones for my puppies so they don’t try to swallow something too large, but I have never had a problem and those that I consult have never had a problem. Once you start feeding raw chicken meat and bones or any bones for that matter, you will start to see white stool which is the digested bone.

More about feeding Raw Diet Next week.

Tags:Leah Morse | Robert Forto | Michele Forto | Iditarod | Team Ineka | Dog Training Denver | Dog Doctor Radio | Denver Dog Works | Mushing Radio | Duluth Dog Works
________________
Leah Morse is a certified canine trainer and the owner of Rocky Mountain Classic Canine. Leah can be reached through our website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: