Thursday, February 25, 2010

Raw Food Diet for Dogs

Learning to Feed Bones and Raw Food to Boxers
By Leah Morse


This will be the first of a series of blogs that I want to share my experience with learning to feed raw diet to my dogs. It is a controversial way of providing nutrition for your dogs. I am not suggesting that anyone follow these guidelines that I have chosen to do for my own dogs. I am just simply sharing the information that I have found and where I found it. I have seen some amazing changes in the health of my dogs but this is, by any means, a simple way to feed your dog. It takes planning and work. The days that you are tired and don’t feel like preparing an extra meal, or paying for it, for that matter, you still have to do it. Your dogs can’t feed themselves. I have gotten creative at saving on the cost but again this creates more work. I am thankful to own a Vita-mix blender (http://www.vitamix.com) which saves me time and blends down the veggies, raw eggs and shells to liquid if needed. I am simply sharing my experiences. I am not a veterinarian; I am also not a health care professional. This theory of feeding raw species appropriate diet can have serious health risks associated with incorrect handling, preparing and feeding. NEVER EVER FEED COOKED BONES! Cooking bones changes the molecular structure, they become brittle and may splinter which would injure or kill your dog! Do not feed bones that are frozen either, as they can and will ruin your pet’s teeth. All bones must be thoroughly thawed before feeding. Mixing raw meat with cooked meat can cause digestive problems. If feeding raw diet is your goal read as many books and literature as possible. Find people who are already feeding and have experience to have as mentors. Use your own good judgment, when in doubt, don’t do it. The ideas and opinions in this blog are my own and come from feeding my dogs this way since 2008, unless otherwise credited. I am by no means an expert, just sharing my own acquisition of information and observations from my own dogs. Take any ideas that I present here at your own risk and discretion. I, for one, have found it worth it.

After suffering through the agonizing cancer and liver disease deaths of my late great boxers Bohdi and Leelu, I vowed to dedicate myself to being part of finding a solution rather than just a victim of diseases that plague boxers and many other breeds for that matter. I have tried many different top brand highly nutritious dog foods only to be somewhat satisfied. I have gone to many dog food nutrition seminars put on by Iams, NutroMax, Science Diet and others. I experimented with adding supplements and veggies to these great foods. Then the great dog food recall of 2007 happened and Melamine (http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/) seemed to be the main problem. In my opinion it seemed that outsourcing their manufacturing to other countries (or at least procuring ingredients from them), quality control is not the same as in the United States to save on their bottom line. I spent thousands of dollars on drugs and medications for a variety of ailments. Though there are many theories out there I, for one, believe that environment and nutrition quality play a huge role in keeping our furry children happy and healthy. I know that when my husband and I started eating healthier and incorporating more fresh nutritious choices into our everyday meals, we began to feel much better and we did not have trouble with as many ailments.

So I made my decision and decided to experiment with raw diet, B.A.R.F diet (Bones and Raw Foods) with my dogs. I was terrified at first. After being a veterinary assistant for 10 years, 20 years in pet retail and now as a professional dog trainer, where I preached to never feed people food, I was going to go against everything I had once believed. Although the bird nutrition classes have always pushed to feed fresh as it was the best. Still grieving from the loss of Leelu (just shy of 10 years when we lost her to the horror of hemangiosarcoma) I wanted to do everything that I could for the eight year old rescued boxer and the eight month old boxer puppy that we had left. I had noticed that Bohdi’s health was starting to go downhill. So I did due diligence and scoured the internet, I ordered books (Dr. Billinghurst’s book “Give Your Dog a Bone” and “Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats the Ultimate Diet” by Kymythy R. Schultze C.C.N., A.H.I. I joined B.A.R.F chat networks and groups on Facebook. I found these to be quite informative.

I had read that I should keep track of the health of my dogs. In the beginning, both had moderately shiny coats. Bohdi’s energy level seemed to be declining and Story had a normal puppy energy level. Bohdi was on a thyroid maintenance prescription drug, a Glucosamine supplement, pepcid (prescribed for his daily struggle with a sour stomach) and a daily pain relief prescription drug. Both dogs, as many boxers do, suffered us with their flatulence. Bohdi had stained teeth but had just had a dental cleaning done. Much to my surprise the puppy started to show signs of a small amount of tarter building up on her Carnasal molars. I was feeding Blue Buffalo brand food to both, one of the better and more expensive processed dog foods. One of the things that really bothered me about feeding such expensive processed food was that I seemed to feed the same amount that I was picking up afterward in the dog run. I thought that feeding premium foods was supposed to give you less to pick up. I seemed to feed 40lbs of dog food and then I seemed to pick up the same 40lbs in stool.

I finally broke down and purchased chicken wings with the purpose of feeding them to my dogs. I had found that non wait bearing bones were the best and that chicken wings backs and necks had just about the right ratio of bone to meat. I split the dogs up and gave them each a raw chicken wing. It was a strange experience to feel both the excited anticipation of healthier dogs and also the pit in my stomach that said “What did I just do?” I intently watched as the older dog, Bohdi, cautiously sniffed the wing picked it up and gave it a little shake only to drop it again. He then picked it back up and started to chomp through it. A couple of cracks and smacks and the chicken wing disappeared down his throat as he licked his lips. Bohdi looked at me as if to say “Is that it?” I wasn’t comfortable with giving more until I saw how he handled it. Meanwhile, out in the dog run, Story, the puppy, was shaking and licking her chicken wing. It took her much longer to figure out that it was something she could touch and then that it was more than just a toy but she finally got the job done. I kept my eye on both of them the rest of the evening and as gross as it may seem I kept a close eye on their bathroom habits. The morning after my initial feeding of the chicken wings I was anxious to see what the end result would be. I was terrified and had a rough night of sleep, envisioning a quick trip to the local veterinary hospital to extract the bones from my poor dogs. On the contrary, both dogs were fine and had normal stool, yet smaller amounts and much to my surprise I could actually see the digested bone. White dog stool that literally disintegrated as you tried to shovel it up. Another added bonus was that it did not smell nearly as bad. Third bonus was that Bohdi, who usually has an easily upset stomach, was having no digestive issues that I could see, at all. Last but not least, our dogs did not seem to have foul smelling gas. Day one of feeding Raw Diet appeared to go well. Their next meal would, again, be chicken wings with the addition of pureed celery. Now I would start planning meals and start keeping track of the cost. Research where to get the ingredients cost effectively. I wanted to come up with a system that lowered my risk of contamination in the kitchen and that would be the most sanitary for our dogs. I was also going to really educate myself about supplementation. My experiences will follow in future blogs.

If you have any questions for Leah or would like to learn more about feeding a raw diet to your dogs from someone that has first hand experience, please give us a call at Denver Dog Works at 303-578-9881.

Tags: Denver Dog Works, Dog Training Denver, Colorado Dog Trainers, Leah Morse, Canine Nutrition, Raw Diet for Dogs, Robert Forto, Dog Works Training Centers, Rocky Mountain Classic Canine, Your Brand Plan
______________________
Leah Morse is a canine trainer and the owner of Rocky Mountain Classic Canine in Colorado. Leah also is a contract trainer for Denver Dog Works and a former student. Leah can be reached through Denver Dog Works at http://www.denevrdogworks.com

No comments: