Friday, October 23, 2009

The Business End of the Leash: Media Relations

The Business End of the Leash: Media Relations in the Dog Training World
By Robert Forto, PhD



In Denver, Colorado I have high aspirations. I want to be the go-to-guy on every media outlet when they have a question about anything dogs. While this is a lofty goal, it is something that I have been working on for the past few months and it is paying off.

I have developed a great media list and have aligned myself (with a little help from Facebook and Twitter of course) with some local reporters and media personalities.

Media Relations

Developing a relationship with your local media is definitely worth the effort and can provide you with some of the bets advertising for your business and in most cases it is absolutely free! When I have worked with non-profits in the past, training a dog for a shelter or a rescue, getting publicity was relatively easy because it was a non-profit organization that was well known and respected. Denver Dog Works was mentioned favorably in the local media and we were published in the newspaper or on the Internet.

Our main goal was to train the dog well for the organization of course, but our secondary goal was to get mentioned in the media as often as possible in order to get maximum publicity as the de-facto dog training experts in the area. As with any for-profit business, we as dog training professionals have a goal of making money and getting clients. And I must say it, having worked in both non-profit and for-profit businesses; it is easy to get media coverage when you are promoting a non-profit service.

However, just because we are in the profit-making business does not mean we can get media attention—we just have to be more creative in our approach.

If we are to get publicity for our business through the media, we need to think like a journalist. Since my graduate degree is in Communication and I sat through my fair share of journalism and public relations classes, I can share with you some preliminary tips on how journalists think and what they are looking for in prospective stories.

Journalism 101

· There is editorial (subjective) and there is news reporting (objective)
· A feature story is simply a subjective story on a person or business that is unique.
· The journalist is always looking for a unique story angle.
· Who, What, When, Why and How are a journalist’s framework.
· A good photo opportunity is worth its weight in gold.
· The journalist is always on a deadline.
· Timeliness of the news is everything to the journalist.

It is important to keep the above in mind when you embark on your publicity plan. If your respect the journalist’s plight you will increase your chances tremendously of getting publicity and of being viewed favorably by your local media outlets.

Facebook and Publicity

I have been an active Facebook, Twitter and social media user for about a year and I update my profile everyday in regards to the goings-on of Denver Dog Works. While this has been a tremendous boon for my business, it should not be the only way that you update your customers and promote yourself. There are many people out there that do not use social media or are even still afraid of its implications.

My advice to you is to start a Facebook account for yourself and in turn start a Page for your business. There is a three-pronged approach to this. First Business Pages are indexed in Google and other search engines where personal pages are not. Secondly, it is against Facebook’s policies to promote your business on your personal page. If Facebook finds out you are doing this they can, and will, shut your account down. And third, by having a Business Page along with a Personal Page I have found that it lends to a bit of personality and realism to the Business Page. On my Personal Page I update things about my family and friends, my likes and dislikes and my infatuation with hockey and my kid’s sports. On my Business Page I keep it strictly business in regards to Denver Dog Works and I share stories, training updates and news and events.

A word of caution: Spending too much time on social media is obviously going to cost you and your business in terms of productivity. So limit yourself to a set number of posts or “tweets” a day. I update almost always from my iPhone and I will be remiss to admit most of the time it is while I am stuck in traffic or at a stop light. While I would not recommend you “tweet” while you are driving, and it is not only dangerous but illegal in many places, keep in mind you goals and develop a clear public relations plan.

If you would like to find our how you can become one of the best dog trainers in the world give us a call at 303-578-9881 or contact us through our website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

Next Week: 3 ways to get publicity through the media.
____________________
Dr. Robert Forto is the training director for Denver Dog Works and is the host of a weekly radio program, The Dog Doctor Radio Show, every Saturday. Dr. Forto can be reached through his website at http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: