Monday, September 14, 2009

If a Dog Were a Teacher

If a Dog Were a Teacher

By Robert Forto, PhD

In this day and age where we are running too fast from one appointment to another, from one kids football practice to another's softball. In the constant need to post updates to Facebook and tweets to Twitter, what have you done with your dog lately? Is he stuck at home while you are at the park with your kids? Or worse yet, is he tied up in the backyard while you are at work all day? Why did you buy/adopt/rescue your dog in the first place? Was it for him to be a companion or just something that you pet every now and then?

I am urging you to spend time with your dog. Run with him, take him to the park, and take him with you on that short trip to the grocery store. Believe me, he wants to go too. I look at my old dog, Ineka and he is so excited to go with me to work and when I run errands and I will admit that I don't always oblige. Sometimes it just isn't practical. I often do take him with me in the cooler months to work and he loves that. If I don't take him he bounces around the house like a puppy when we come home. I like that. It makes me feel good that he is glad to see me home. I love my dog. I love my job as a dog trainer and I hope can find the time to include them in your lives if you don't already.

Not everything I post is written by me and I try my best to give credit where credit is due. I found this article on the Internet a while back and it did not have a name attached to it. If you wrote, or if you know who did, please contact me so I can give proper credit.

If a dog was the teacher you would learn stuff like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.


Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.


Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.

Be loyal. Never pretend to b e something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!!

"You can't change the world by adopting one animal, but you can change the whole world for that animal."
~~ Unknown
__________________
Dr. Robert Forto is the training director of Denver Dog Works and is the host of a weekly radio program, The Dog Doctor Radio Show. Dr. Forto can be reached through his website http://www.denverdogworks.com

No comments: