Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Appreciation of Dogs

Appreciation of Dogs
By Robert Forto, PhD

It's amazing what dogs bring into your life. Today I was looking at my Siberian Husky, Ineka, who is well beyond the decade mark and thought about all the good things that have happened to me since he came into my life. It’s funny how a dog can be such a catalyst in one’s life. When we are kids they are the constant companions that we tell our deepest secrets to. When we are adults they give us hope and determination. In old age they bring a sparkle to our eyes and a smile to our faces. Their eyes are truly a mirror into our soul.
Ineka was one of the reasons I continue to be a dog trainer. Becoming a dog trainer has been such an unbelievable experience for me. I have learned so much and met so many people and as a direct result of my relationship with dogs.
My life has been so much fuller since Ineka came into my life. I have met some of my best friends and wife because of dogs. I have learned how to run a business, deal with people and write because of dogs. I have spent hours on a snowy trail, thought, sought and fulfilled dreams, and overcome unbearable adversities because of my passion and appreciation of dogs.
Of course, none of this would have been possible if it had not been for the dogs. Over the past seventeen years I have sought friendship, kinship, and insight into just a piece of their magnificent world and there is still so much to learn.

To those dogs who have taught me so much on the trail, in the kennel, in the classroom and as pets I am eternally grateful.

To Ineka, my rescued friend, I will always think of you when I work clients and their dogs, and my teach course for dog trainers, I just hope a little bit of you can be carried on through each person who learns from me and reads my text and discovers the passion of working with man’s best friend.

Robert Forto, PhD
Denver Dog Works

No comments: